The arrival of the Army at the former RAF Cottesmore site, now renamed Kendrew Barracks, was widely welcomed within the constituency.
Kendrew Barracks, named after Major General Sir Douglas Kendrew, a former Uppingham School pupil who served in the Royal Leicestershire Regiment, is the new home for the 2nd Battalion The Royal Anglican Regiment. They will be followed in 2013 by personnel from 7 Regiment Royal Logistics Corps. The barracks were officially opened in October 2012.
The closure of RAF Cottesmore shocked Rutland when the decision was announced in December 2009. Yet Rutland retains its proud connection with the military as Cottesmore becomes one of the Army's strategic hubs.
Melton Mowbray is also set to accommodate Army personnel in the years following the initial relocation to the area while retaining the Defence Animal Centre.
Rutland also has the St George's army barracks at North Luffenham.
- September 29, 2014 Alan backs air strikes against ISIS
- June 30, 2014 Alan's office mark Armed Forces Day
- March 6, 2013 Alan welcomes Army announcement
- November 10, 2011 Alan welcomes Cottesmore plans
- November 7, 2011 Alan calls for Poppy Pride